One of the more cost effective energy savings solutions we provide involves lighting and lighting control installations. Relamping and/or refixturing combined with occupancy/light sensing based controls usually has a short payback period.
As a simple example of savings potential from LED retrofitting bulbs, which are now available for most existing fixtures:
- Life time expectation of LED lamps can be up to 100,000 hours. This is 11 years of continuous operation, or 22 years of 50% operation. If you leave on the LED fixture for 8h per day it would be more than 20 years before you’d have to replace an LED lamp. This results in reduced expenditures on replacement bulbs and on the labor needed to change them.
- Reduced heat output from LED lamps versus other traditionally used lamps reduces air conditioning costs. In areas such as New York City and Long Island with high electrical costs the savings in air conditioning and peak usage can be significant. Today’s most efficient way of lighting is up to 80-90% more efficient than traditional lighting and conventional light bulbs.
- LEDs light up immediately and when powered on, which allows for safe occupancy sensing controls compared to some other lighting options. Also, LED lights can be switched off and on frequently and with minimal affect to the LED’s lifetime or light emission. Some traditional lighting may take many seconds to reach full brightness, and frequent on/off switching can drastically reduce the operational life expectancy of traditional bulbs.
- Additional benefits of LED lighting include:
- Sustainable, recyclable no hazardous chemicals, removing mercury from your facility
- Durable rugged designs can withstand rough conditions
- Zero UV emissions – eliminating UV related color impacts on material that could make your building less attractive over the long term
- Can be installed using low voltage making future repair much cheaper and safer
We strive to be your power partner in determining what makes sense for you to reduce operating and maintenance expenses while lowering your overall electricity costs through reduction of lighting energy usage.